4.21.2009

Moods

I seem to be a rather foul mood this morning. I'm doing my blog hop thing like I always do, because I have that kind of time on my hands, and I'm not leaving comments. I've read a couple of blogs this morning and they either irritated me beyond measure or made me feel like an idiot. It's all me. I know it is. I know that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or however else you want to put it, but I can't seem to shake it.

Wikipedia describes moods as a relatively long lasting, affective or emotional state. Moods differ from simple emotions in that they are less specific, less intense, and less likely to be triggered by a particular stimulus or event.[1] Moods generally have either a positive or negative valence. In other words, people typically speak of being in a good mood or a bad mood. Unlike acute, emotional feelings like fear and surprise, moods often last for hours or days. Mood also differs from temperament or personality traits which are even longer lasting. Nevertheless, personality traits such as optimism and neuroticism predispose certain types of moods. Long term disturbances of mood such as depression and bipolar disorder are considered mood disorders. Mood is an internal, subjective state, but it often can be inferred from posture and other behaviors.

Where as Merriam Webster says 1: a conscious state of mind or predominant emotion : feeling ; also : the expression of mood especially in art or literature 2 archaic : a fit of anger : rage 3 a: a prevailing attitude : disposition b: a receptive state of mind predisposing to action c: a distinctive atmosphere or context : aura

What triggers your good or bad moods? What do you do when you can't shake a bad mood? Inquiring minds...

10 comments:

  1. sorry about your foul mood :( wish i could offer some words of wisdom but i'm a middle of the road kinda gal - having moods takes too much energy. try putting on your favorite musical and singing at the top of you lungs !

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That's funny, that's exactly what I did. You my friend are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer, Erika.
    Cloudy weather bums me out, good thing I don't live up north.
    Child or hubby in bad mood rubs off on me, but I try to stop it.
    In general, I don't get in bad moods very often only when I get menopause pimples--no, the damn things just won't go away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stupid people. Always put me in a bad mood. Good thing I don't travel armed, huh? *bwahaha*

    Glad you're in a better mood now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret, pimples can put in a mood too. I'm almost 36 years old and I still break out. WTF???? Thankfully my bad moods usually don't last very long. For that I am grateful. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and me Silver, stupid people make me crazy. Thankfully for both of us, nobody ever thinks we're stupid, cuz that just doesn't happen. Right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First - love the new look to the blog. Kind of surprised me when I got over here (I've been lacking in my blog reading lately).

    Second - moods, bah! I can get in a funk over anything including my writing (and when real life gets in the way of my wriing). I was going to suggest music, but I see ban beat me to it. How about some chocolate? Maybe some wine? Or just a great musical :) and a big bowl of popcorn?

    Hope you get out of your funk soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Janet. I'm over it. I put on some music as soon as youngest was out the door and jammed for a while. In the words of Meredith Grey, "I danced it out". :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, I was just checking out your profile, (for the first time, go figure) and I see that you cross-stitch. Me too! We'll have to share patterns or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't cross-stitched for a while. Everytime I get in a funk, I think I should pull out a new pattern I bought a couple of years ago and get to it. Nothing like supreme focus to make you forget your bad mood. I also think it would get my mind into the writing mood instead of just looking at a white screen.

    The pattern I have is a field of lupins - I love lupins. It looks really hard, but there's nothing like a challenge :)

    ReplyDelete